Friday, November 05, 2010

Grady Update

Grady had his 6 month check up with the doctor today. To fill you in, Grady had another appointment with the allergist earlier in the week. After originally discovering his egg, dairy and nut allergies in combination with his medications he looked great...for about a week. Then it slowly started to come back starting with redness around his eyes and mouth and then eventually broke out over his whole body.
The allergist did another test determined that their must be something else making his skin break out this badly again. To sum it up, Grady's basically more allergic to dairy products than originally thought. He showed a milk allergy at the first appointment but only slightly, so I was told to "limit" dairy but didn't need to completely eliminate it from my diet. This test showed otherwise. So the outcome is that I have to absolutely stay away from anything and everything dairy. I was surprised to find how much I ate that had trace amounts of dairy in it, from my bread to my "non-dairy" coffee creamer. Luckily after a trip to Trader Joe's I was able to find some breads and snacks I can actually eat. Just in the last few days I can already see a big improvement in his skin. Oh, and he's allergic to potatoes too, just in time for Thanksgiving-and no french fries either! Trying to look at the postive side of all this...I've passed my Grady pre-pregnancy weight and I'm only 3 pounds away from the weight I was before I got pregnant with Dawson :)
Back to the important stuff...Grady got the okay to try more solid foods but because of his allergies there is only a few hypo-allergenic foods their letting him start with: appesauce, sweet potatoes and plums/prunes. The only concern now is making sure his weight stays up with my drastic diet changes and him being limited on the solid foods he can have at this point. He's still obviously a big boy but he did drop quite a bit on the percentile chart since his 4 month appt. His stats are:
Weight: 19 lbs 2.5 oz (75%)
Height: 28" (92%)
Grady also just cut his 3rd tooth (all on the bottom) and he's starting to babble a lot. There have been a lot of "da da's" coming out of his mouth, another one of my boys that spends all day every day with me and doesn't say "mama" first :(. Grady has mastered rolling over. He just rolls and rolls to get to where he wants to go, it's pretty funny to watch him go. He is also sitting up on his own...but he still topples over a lot so either I stay close by or I surround him with pillows. I guess that's it for now!

No comments: